Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Near-field monitors

geoff wrote:
Anybody else heard the JBL LSR705P ? Amazing bass for a 5" driver -
don't feel any need for a sub. In fact too much bass (until I rolled off
the bottom a little) when used in a half-field scenario. Good for
near-field, or even medium-field, as they go quite loud too.

When those first came out, JBL did a demo with the M-2 and the little
LSR705, and you could tell a difference between the two on the top and
bottom ends, but they were remarkably similar. Which is amazing considering
the size and price of the LSR705 compared with the big mastering monitors.

Mind you, the demo sounded pretty bad because it was in a room with a flutter
echo and a big reflection off the console, but even so it was pretty amazing.

But the treble seems 'sweeter' (less tiring) with my LS3-5As, but a sub
is useful there as they roll off pretty much by 80Hz ....

The LS-3/5A is kind of missing treble, as well as bass. Nice monitors to
mix on and get a good notion of the midrange, and I used them for years
as field recording monitors, but I think the sweetness of the top end is
actually deceptive and what you're hearing is the absence of top end detail.