Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dieter Michel Dieter Michel is offline

Default Recording with Measurement Mics

Hi Tobiah,

If the goal of a live recording is to record the instruments as
faithfully as possible to the source audio, wouldn't a measurement
mic with a flat response be preferred over a mic with a response
that's not flat?

I posted a similar question some time ago, and one person brought
up the idea that low self noise may not be a primary objective when
designing a measurement mic. That's important to me because I
often record quieter sounds.

I actually made that very experience like 30 years ago
when I attempted to make speech recordings in a very
quiet and acoustically dry environment.

The first trial using B&K measurement mics and
corresponding (pre)amplifiers resulted in too noisy
recordings.

After I bought a John Hardy M1 mic preamp and used
a Neumann U87 or AKG C414 mic, everything was fine.

Best regards

Dieter Michel