Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Recording with Measurement Mics

wrote:

"FWIW, In the early '70s I was visiting a top level R&D lab in
Nashville. A tech was showing me some of their projects. One
was using a measurement mic. I was very small, about the size of a
cigarette filter. He said the freq response was very good but it was
worthless for audio recording. "

So this begs the question: When and where(within the recording
and playback of music) is 'flat' important??

** The tech's comment implies wide, flat response is important to music recording, the tiny mic has that but is compromised in other ways - like having limited dynamic range. IOW it's too noisy for low level audio.

Classical and Jazz musicians care a lot about the tonal qualities of their instruments, often paying big money to get desired qualities. The mistake is in thinking it takes a "measurement mic" to capture sound quality accurately when judged by human ears or that using one would do a better job.

..... Phil