Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Ampex ATR100 operating issues

Gareth Magennis wrote:
At the moment I am kind of stymied by not having a Tentelometer or a Test
Tape, and the alignment is all over the place at present.
Someone has definitely messed with it since the new heads were fitted, that
may have included the transport.

You need an MRL tape just to do the normal weekly audio alignment, so I would
definitely make that the highest possible priority. You can't do anything
without it. Spend a little extra and get the one with the sweep tones at the
end.

Ask MRL to declare it as "tape recorder parts" which should not have duty.

I'll keep looking for a Tentelometer, nothing I can find in the UK at
present, and anything from the States ends up in huge taxes/charges at this
end, so I don't buy anything from there any more.

You might ask on the Ampex list, someone may have one you can borrow. It's
not something you're going to use very often (unlike the MRL tape) so you don't
need to have it on the shelf if you can borrow one.