Posted to rec.audio.pro
Iain Fraser

Default mixing live jazz recording (Earlier Thread Recording Jazz Drum Kit)

It really isnt that bad - the drums are clear enough and as for the kick,
that's jazz for ya, it's normal. The bass seems defined enough, but i would
try to balance out the piano a little louder. As for the bottom of it, if
you can get some out of track then fine, but if it messes with other
intruments (as live micing can do) then its cool too. The vocal needs some
help. Try rolling off some lower mids and see if you can get her to fit in
the room with everyone else. She's too upfront and needs some verb help,
preferrably something that is small like the club it was performed in.
Since we're talking about a live jazz performance I would use VERY little
compression. But over all its not too shabby.

"Chris Hermann" wrote in message
hello everybody,
a few weeks ago i asked here for some advice about recording a live jazz
trio with singer.
Thanks again to Thomas, Nate and Scott for their helpful advice.

things got a bit complicated at the gig, musicians arrived with their
instruments 15 minutes before the start of the show and i had to record a
real piano instead of the digital piano which i was expecting.
So there was not much time for a soundcheck or trying things out.

I'm now trying to get a usable mix out of the tracks i have.
Problematic tracks in my opinion are the two Piano tracks:
I'm missing the lower strings, they are hard to hear.
The kick drum is nearly not hearable, only when it was hit hard it's
hearable over the OH mikes.
The double-bass didnt have a pickup, but a big-condenser mike below the
bridge, which was ok. The additional U87 i used perhaps 1 ft away is not
really usable. Since the stage was very small, there is more drums and
piano than Bass on the U87.

I did a rough mix of one song and it would be great to get some feedback.
I'm not sure if I already overcompressed the individual tracks?
I had some problems dealing with the dynamics, i used some compression and
some manual gain-riding.
The vocal could perhaps also need some more presence?
Here is the link. Thanks for any feedback.

Chris

http://www.wabisabimusic.de/livemix