Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Is it a good idea to get old SS amplifiers serviced if they still

On 19/02/2019 7:32 am, Howard Stone wrote:
Does the sound quality deteriorate as the capacitors deteriorate? Do properly restored amps sound better?

**Absolutely.

Is an older unserviced amp more likely to go DC?

**Not necessarily. Most employ some kind of protection anyway.

Does a stitch in time save nine? I mean, are you more likely to save yourself an expensive or even impossible repair if you get it serviced?

**Maybe. Depends on the product, it's age, how it has been used, etc.
Naturally, it is always best to have a product thoroughly checked and
serviced by a TRUSTED person, but with high quality products, not
absolutely necessary. That said, if you follow my previous suggestions
and look at an old Krell, then you would be well advised to have the amp
thoroughly serviced, including electrolytic cap replacement. If, for no
other reason than the fact that the old Krell KSA100 is nudging 35+
years old. If the amp has seen a bit of use, then the main filter caps
(and all the smaller ones) should be replaced, unless it has already
been done recently. A good tech would check the big caps first, since
they can be expensive (but easy) to replace. I've done some old Mark
Levinson amps recently and they use similar main electros. The big
difference is that the replacement in the ML amps is something of a
nightmare. Old Krells are much simpler prospects.I would also consider
re-mounting all the output devices, but that is not essential. In any
case, the old tech's adage applies he 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---