Posted to rec.audio.tubes
jaap[_3_] jaap[_3_] is offline

Default 300B dead after 9 months - HELP

François Yves Le Gal wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:37:45 +0200, jaap wrote:

Yours has two 300B's but the story is the same: there's quite some
strain on the rectifier tube

The 274 is spec'ed at 160 mA max into 4 µF for C1 (RC Pi filter) and
shouldn't deliver more than 120 mA into 8 µF. Anything above 8 µF (or above
say, 30 µF to tal capacitance in a CLC combination) spells disaster.

Two 300B in SE class A plus two 6SN7 and two 12AT7 come very close to the
max.

I would recommend against swapping rectifier tubes if you do not know
what voltage drop to expect.

Hmmm. You can safely replace a 274 with a 5U4GB, provided that the xformer
can supply 3 A for heating (vs. 2.4 A for a 274). NOS valves from Tung-Sol
or Sylvania (my two faves, but the RCA et al. are also well worth
considering) are quite cheap and very easy to find.

Contact the seller for assistance

The seller describes the amp a using a "Hi-End Super Regulator Power
Supply".

Have a look at a picture of the amp:
http://hi-end.on9mart.com/products/a...8-photo_13.JPG

Where is the "Regulator" ? All i see is a basic CLC PS.

I'm not sure that the seller can be of any help here...
:-)

Outch

A voltage regulator is designed to work within certain limits, that's
why I advised keeping the exact voltage. But if there isn't any, go ahead.