Ian

Default The FAQ needs a major update

thelizman wrote:

sancho wrote:

have we heard back from ian on whether he gave his okay for this?

I have had quite a bit of contact with Ian the last week. He's responded
in kind to every one of my e-mails. He has made it clear that he has
only ever given permission to one person to reproduce the FAQ - thats
Eddie Runner (which to the best of my knowledge, Eddie hasn't done so).

Ian's viewpoint on this is that there's 'not alot he can do to stop [the
plagiarism of his FAQ]'. I can understand completely - this community
relies on people with ethics and morals to maintain its standards. I'm a
little more visceral, however. Mobileaudio.com has a clear copyright
statement, as well as a clear distribution statement for the FAQ. I am
going to propose to Ian that he copyright the FAQ under the Creative
Commons Copyright which best fits the current model so that preserving
the sanctity of the FAQ is enforcable by simply contacting the offenders
ISP.

I'll speak for myself here.

I have received lots of requests to duplicate the FAQ. I almost always
reply with my standard reply:

Please do not create copies extra copies of the FAQ on your website,
but instead create a link to the official location. This helps to
prevent confusion, ensures that the FAQ remains objective, and helps
prevent the document from forking.

I can't prevent other people from making copies of the FAQ -- and as
long as the FAQ remains unaltered and includes the notices in Section
0, then I don't really care (even though I discourage this).

I _do_ mind when people copy the FAQ (either in part or in its entirety),
and either remove the notices at the beginning of the document, don't
provide proper attribution, etc. Some sites have done this, and many
have stopped after I reminded them of the problem. Others have continued
to violate the terms in the FAQ.

With regard to mobileaudio.com and the FAQ: Although the FAQ is hosted
on my site, mobileaudio.com, it is certainly not my property. It belongs
to its authors and the rec.audio.car community. As such, the notice at
the beginning of the FAQ supersedes the mobileaudio.com copyright.

Thanks -

Ian Bjorhovde

rec.audio.car FAQ Maintainer