Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] joe@mich.com is offline

Default Before I spend too much...

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 06:08:23 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote:

On 7/4/2019 4:19 AM, John Williamson wrote:
I have listened in the past to the same choir performing the same
programme in a large, fairly empty church and a modern, dead space,
where sound reinforcement had to be used, and while the former sounded
"live", the latter sounded as though they were playing a CD through the
PA system.

And this "dead space" sound is what those who want to get rid of all
warts and blemishes want to hear. It's a matter of conditioning. When
mowing the lawn, they'd prefer hearing a CD played through earbuds than
enjoy a live band playing on the porch. Lawn mower engines are SOOOOO
annoying!

Don't be absurd. Many noises are caused by poor equipment or technique and can be
minimized. The organ blower mentioned earlier is such. In the case you mention of
mowing the lawn and a CD vs a live band, if I wanted to hear the music, I'd go with
the band. I would not consider the mower as an artifact of the music and so I'd turn
off the mower. If I can't turn off the mower, I would, in fact, prefer a high end over
ear headphone with a well-made CD of the band. To me, that sound would be superior to
the band with a loud lawn mower drowning them out. Best way to hear the band, of
course, would be in Boston Symphony Hall.