Posted to rec.audio.pro
Notable.com Notable.com is offline

Default Patch cable recommendation

Noxon with paper towels works in a pinch- if you clean ALL of it off after cleaning. Keep rubbing till no darkness is left when you rub the connectors. I spin them in my fingers on the paper towel, constantly moving to fresh areas on the Towel. I only use this cleaner on external male connectors. ( tt and1/4inch) It would be too hard to go inside the female parts and get this out.

Also, I advocate soldering your own cables. Belkin, Mogami and Canare cable, and Neutrik connectors... they last for years. Most molded cables are not worth what you pay for them and miserable to repair.
best,
Daniel

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 6:51:10 PM UTC-4, cedricl wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 10:30:48 AM UTC-7, Tobiah wrote:
I need some balanced (TRS 1/4" plug) cables to run
between a sound card and mixer. I bought a cheap
snake a long time ago, and despite it not being
abused, I have to fiddle with many of the connectors
to get a consistent clean connection. The plugs are
molded plastic.

I'd like to go individual this time instead of
a snake, and would probably like serviceable plugs
so that I'm not in this position again.

2 meter length ought to do it. Just looking for
the lowest price at a quality that will allow me
to connect them and forget them.

I found it was usually due to oxidation on the connectors themselves. I used silver polish with a terry cloth towel. Just go outside or the fumes will overwhelm you.