Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

Default Mic preamp comparison

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 2:18:05 PM UTC-7, Tobiah wrote:
I recorded two mono channels, each through a different preamp into the same
audio interface. I normalized those, then arranged the results as A/B/A/B
into the same sound file.

All things were as equal as I could make them, other than the preamps.
Can you detect a difference? Do you like one better?

http://ven.rcsreg.com/r2/2_pres.wav

Later, I'll disclose the premps.

Tobiah

My preferred way to A/B audio gear is to record the choices simultaneously on separate tracks. This removes the question about when the 'switch' takes place. The evaluating listener decides when to switch. Here, I'd use a "Y" cord to feed the mic to both preamps. Their outputs would go to two tracks. Typical input impedances should prevent cross-loading problems. Scott?