Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default PA system recommendation?

On 4/29/2021 6:42 PM, Barry wrote:
I'm currently working with a singer who wants to buy a small, easily
portable PA system, and she's looking at the Bose system so much in
favor among coffee-house performers these days.Â* I do not like Bose home
audio offerings for a bajillion reasons, and I don't like the sound of
their PA stuff either, but I don't want to color her choice with my
preconceived distaste for Bose products.

Is there a similarly portable system out there for the same or less
money, that sounds better and has similar capabilities in terms of room
coverage?

This is a very well covered field - there are dozens of portable and
easy-to-use PA systems from the usual reputable manufacturers - Yamaha,
EV, Fishman, JBL, Mackie, QSC, Fender

Are you looking for the "single pole" sort of thing that Bose made
popular? Or perhaps the more traditional "speakers on a stick" with a
built-in or external mixer?

Browse a few web sites - https://www.fullcompass.com/
https://www.swee****er.com/ https://www.guitarcenter.com/

Get an idea of what's out there and what they cost. It'll be hard to get
a recommendation for the best, they're all OK. Look at setup and
operating convenience, weight, and consider if two inputs (mic and
instrument) will be sufficient - lots of powered speakers have a simple
mixer built in so there are no cables involved except to plug in power
and mics.