Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

Default Motional feedback in speakers

On Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 4:32:20 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:

Regarding feedback, I remember there was an hobby project long ago to
have a very small R between speaker and GND (GND also being the amp's
ground), and using the speaker's back EMF as feedback to correct
excursions. There are some later publications from W.Kippel about it.

**The first system I saw with that arrangement was the Infinity RS1. It
introduced as many problems as it solved. Amplifiers with 'floating'
output stages encountered some problems. Bridged amplifiers too. That
said, the bass extension available from a rather modestly sized, sealed
enclosure was impressive.

May well be the case, but it wasn't because of feedback. If there
was anything done electronically, it was EQ which, itself, is a
completely legitimate way of getting bandwidth, if done properly*.

* Which, of course, is subject to Dick Pierce's First Law
of Acoustics: Anny idiot can design a loudspeaker and,
unfortunately, many do.