Posted to alt.radio.digital,alt.fan.howard-stern,rec.audio.car
DAB sounds worse than FM DAB sounds worse than FM is offline

Default SIRIUS and XM to Combine in $13 Billion Merger of Equals

JMiller wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:21:25 GMT, "DAB sounds worse than FM"
dab.is@dead wrote:

JMiller wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:02:16 +0000, Paul Webster
wrote:

"BadAsCan" wrote:

I told everybody in this group in 2005 that Sirius and XM were
going to merge. It was inevitable. The reason for the merge is
Howard Stern. Stern is just too powerful and has a huge fan base.
Howard will be the undisputed king of satellite radio

I'm not claiming any great knowledge here - but if Howard Stern was
the critical factor then wouldn't the company that has his contract
simply keep going alone and take all of the customers from the
other?

That's the way it's working out, but it's not necessarily just
because of Howard. I have to admit that I think it totally is
because of Howard, though.

So you think that a $13bn merger is all about Howard Stern?? I have
to say that that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in 2007.
Well done.

That is because you are not smart.

I see.

XM had been the frontrunner with a
clear and commanding lead over Sirius. After a year of Stern on the
air, Sirius has blown away XM. It would never have happened without
him. So yeah, this merger is all a reaction to Stern.

What are the current subscriber numbers for each system and what were they 1
year ago?

And this might have escaped your attention, but do you not think that the
satellite companies merging might just be slightly more to do with the fact
that if they're not competing with one another they don't have to duplicate
lots and lots of stations, so the total bandwidth can be used to provide a
wider range of stations, thus making satellite radio a far more attractive
proposition to consumers in the upcoming fight against terrestrial digital
radio. or is it as you said and it's ALL about Howard Stern?

Yeah, you're the smart one, so you're probably right.

Find the cheapest Freeview & DAB prices:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/fr..._receivers.php
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/dab_radios.php