Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve

Default supersonic

wrote:
i heard of this ultrasonic device that makes people sick and barf.
anyone know about this?

It's known as a GWBush.

Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote:
Steve wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

wrote:

out of curiosity, what happens when people are exposed to loud
supersonic sounds for awhile?

for instance, let's say you turned your soundblaster speakers way up
and emitted a 35 kHz wave for awhile. what then?

Your cats and dogs would be annoyed and you'd blow your tweeters.
The sound would not affect you particularly. After all, hospital
ultrasound systems use levels far higher than you could produce in
free air.

I knew a guy who found 40kHz unbearable.
We were working on an ultrasonic movement detector.
He would complain of pain and pressure in his ears any time it was on.

When there are reflections eg in a room, then when the head is moved there are
Doppler shifts. This results in interference and some quite weird auditory
experiences.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-