Mack

For your own entertainment, don't bother with a microphone. A
microphone can't make you sound better, only louder.

Plus you need all the auxilary equipment.

First, thanks to all thus far for your advice. I have to use a
microphone, because I want to record music I've written for my own
entertainment mostly. I mainly play electric guitar, bass and
keyboards. I have an old Yamaha MT4X 4 track multi-track recorder that
I got used for my initial recording with whatever other signal
processing gear members of the group could suggest that I need, for
example a good mike and whatever other audio processing gear I can
afford. I realize I have to work on the voice end as well.

Even when I find a voice coach, I will never be a good singer. God
just didn't give me the natural gifts to cultivate, but at least I can
have some fun in trying. Perhaps we all want to do something that we
know that we can never do well, but enjoy doing it poorly LOL!

If I'm marginally successful with getting an acceptable sound for me
by using signal processors, good mike, voice coaching, etc. I'll get a
better multitrack recording unit.