Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Audition 1.5 and Cool Edit 2.1 recording problems

On 8/27/2016 7:38 AM, John Williamson wrote:
My worry with this unit is that the OS restore partition is on the same
piece of flash memory as everything else, soldered to the motherboard
and there's no obvious way to make a boot disk to run the restore if
Windows falls over due to a flash problem.

What's that on? A phone or tablet? I don't think I've bought a new PC
since the days when they put the restoration data on a semi-hidden
partition on the internal hard drive. If you knew the secret handshake,
you could make a restoration CD from that, but then you had to remember
where you put it if you need it.

The other problem with "re-install Windows" is that you restore to the
version that was in effect at the time they built the computer. You
might have Windows XP before service packs. There's an unofficial
Windows XP Service Pack 4 (Google it) that has all of the updates since
Microsoft stopped issuing them. I've used that a couple of times since
my installer copy of XP is Service Pack 2.