Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Class D power amplifier---what about class-D CD?

No, digitization is representing those quantized levels by numbers
(these are the digits). Quantization is just quantization, nothing
more. It is a jaggy waveform.

Not so. Think about the _meaning_ of digital.

Absolutely so. Think about what sort of signal you would feed into
a digital to analogue converter. It would not be a quantized waveform
now, would it? It would be a string of ones and zeroes -- that is a
digital signal.

I got into a long argument about this a year ago, and I'm not going to
repeat it. I know it's insufferably rude to say so, but I am absolutely
right about this, and anyone who disagrees with the basic principle being
stated, is wrong.

Mr. Pearce, sit down for a while and think about how one distinguishes
information from noise. When you have a better understanding (you might

want
to browse a book on information theory), you'll go "Aha! That's right! I
don't know why I didn't see it before."

We aren't going to have an argument because I remember the last one
well. You were wrong then as you are wrong now. We can leave it at
that.

The fact that you thought your second paragraph might shed some light
is all we need to see the nature of your misunderstanding of the
terms.

Indeed, what I said is the essence of the issue. I would suggest that you
speak with someone genuinely knowledgeable about information theory.

We will leave it at that.