Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Class D power amplifier---what about class-D CD?

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 04:38:40 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

There are practical issues involved. One is sampling rate. Another is the
way "Class D" is implemented in a given amplifier.

There's also the issue of whether (here we go!) the PWM should be analog or
digital. As another poster pointed out, jitter would be a problem, much more
for analog than digital -- not to mention the difficulty of exactly
controlling the pulse width in a polycarbonate pit.

It isn't an inherently bad idea. It's technically feasible, just not
commercially practical at this time.

When you say digital, do you mean store the data as a number, as is
done now, and feed it to a DAC, the output of which is a pulse width
rather than a voltage? If so, that could be done with the CDs we have
right now.