Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Small power amplifier

Dave O'Heare wrote:
I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.

Folks, my old (somewhat) faithful Stewart PA200 died on me last
night. I hooked it up, it worked, passed audio, all was good. During
the event audio started dropping out, then stopped completely, then
loud oscillation (on one channel, nothing on the other). I fought my
way through the moshing crowd at the retirement residence where it
was set up for the PA announce mic, noted that unmistakeable smell of
escaped magic smoke, and powered the whole works off.

This is not the first time this amp has failed, in much the same way.
I think it's time to replace the beast, but with what? I use it on
the occasions when I'm doing very small events, mostly to minimize
the amount and size of the crap that I'm carrying.

Are there any options for ~100W power amps in a small form factor?
I'd really rather not cart around the size and weight of a full-width
rack mount power amp. It doesn't even have to be stereo, really, but
I do want something with reasonably standard connections (TRS/TS,
XLR, Speakon,say; not barrier strip, euroblock) and (hopefully)
relatively easily available in Canada.

Thanks, folks.

YMMV - but I still use a Sherwood 100WPC cheapie I bought.
Well less than a buck a watt. When you google for them, you will
see the form factor.

It has *cough* RCA connectors.

There are a small eternity of small Class D power amps out there.

--
Les Cargill