Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Bad sound at the Oscars?

snips

least to me, how this could have been left unresolved. This was a very
high-profile event, and I'm sure they had been in place for several days.

I missed the show. Oh, woe is me. smirk

Is Ed Greene still involved?

Once upon a time, Ed did audio for a lot of the major "event" shows from the mid-70s
through the 90s, and perhaps beyond. Pretty sure he did the Oscars for a while.
There was the Greene-Crow remote truck, which I never saw, but heard it was a
wonder.

Ed's work usually sounded fabulous (in a few seconds you could typically pick out a
show he'd mixed before seeing the credits). It even sounded good on the crappy tv
speakers of the day (not that they've gotten appreciably better).

Back when I had a meager expense account at Quad-8, Ed and I had lunch during the
1982 AES in LA and I asked him how the hell he got such fabulous sound on these
shows. He just gave a sly grin and said, "well, I do those shows like I was doing a
record, and try to make it sound like music."

What a concept! (Though of course there were countless layers of skill and
aesthetics that Ed brought to the table, er, desk.)

Although, with the loudness wars, maybe these days "making it sound like a record"
isn't the best idea...

Frank
Mobile Audio