William Sommerwerck

Default My equipment review of the Bose 901

The 901's look to cost $400/pair for their 18 cheapie
full-range drivers, plastic enclosures & low-fi 'compensater'.
I'm probably being too generous.

The series 1 cost $476/pair, including the equalizer. (Note the clever choice of
a price ending in a non-standard digit.) That was fairly pricey for 1968. The
AR-3a cost $450 a pair. There weren't many more-expensive speakers, the QUAD and
KLH electrostatics, and some Bozak and JBLs (such as the Paragon), among those
few.

The current series 6 is about $1600 a pair. Assuming the drivers were of
extremely high quality (???!!!), that would be a "reasonable" retail price.

I want to say something that might surprise readers, especially as I'm big fan
of planar speakers (other than Magnepans, which aren't really planar). With the
right program material, the 901s _can_ be extremely euphonic. And because people
listen to music for enjoyment... QED.

$500 for their Wave plastic table radio? Jeez, I bought a boom box
that sounds better to my ears for $79 and it even has a handle :-)

Ah, but how well does it play Handel? grin