Black Locust

"Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

Years? As bad as this two format situation is, I think years is
excessively pessemistic.

*laughs* He's being optimistic! If you want an idea of how much this
format war could slow down acceptance, consider in part that due to the
Betamax vs. VHS format war, it took VHS over 15 years(!) to achieve the
same penetration rate that DVD did in just 5 years! And then of course
you've got the whole HDTV issue. A good 90% of consumers using DVD right
now will have to purchase an HDTV of some sort before "HD DVD" is even a
viable option.

BTW, it took Blockbuster a little over 3 years to introduce DVDs into
their stores. Best Buy was faster, but even they took some time with it.
Circuit City had that Divx **** all over their stores until it died. And
don't even get me started on Wal-Mart's ULTRA SLOW ASS acceptance of DVD.

So with a looming format war, indeed it will be years before you see any
HD format get even close to where DVD is RIGHT NOW.