Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:49:01 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
news : On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:16:10 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: wrote:
:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:48:41 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: : wrote:

snip lots of waffle and arm-waving by Ruud

Do you have any idea how mediocre your microphone was, not being able
to determine 25 dB SPL background noise due to self-noise ? ;-)

Yes, but I don't like large capsule concenser mikes.

: At that level (and I have
: spent some time in anechoic chambers - very unpleasant) the &only
: sounds you can hear are your clothing rustling as you breathe, your
: own breathing, and the blood coursing through your ears. It usually
: takes about two minutes of sitting absolutely still in an utterly
: quiet environment before you can perceive these noises.

&Strange. my experience is that i can hear _all sounds_ very well,
not just the bloody ears :-) in that situation.

In that situation, there pretty much *are* no other sounds - or you
wouldn't have a 20dB noise floor. That's *very* quiet, almost anechoic
chamber quiet.

: A typical string quartet will generate something like 30-35 dB in the
: rests between playing. Basically Ruud, your every post reveals that
: you know absolutely nothing about acoustics.
:
basically Stewart, your every post presupposes some type of music/some type
of instrument/some type of recording setting

Strange that, considering that we're discussing music recordings....

What were you drinking when you posted that comment?

- have you actually made
any recordings or are you just quoting some textbook ?

Dozens of them - I even used to do them for a living at PERA, when
measuring industriual noise levels.

snip lots of ducking and diving by Ruud

: Electronically generated signals can have pretty much a dynamic range that
: is limited by the electronics used, that is *well over 100 dB*.
:
: Actually, it's more like 70-75 dB for real-world electronic
: instruments. Get a grip, and stop making things up. The *reality* is
: that *no* music master tape, Pet Shop Boys and Mike Oldfield included,
: has a dynamic range of more then 80dB. Until you can find such a tape,
: please stop making such a fool of yourself.
:
tape ? where was tape introduced ? oh, i get it, another round of debating
trade.

Master tape, Ruud, *master* tape. No debating trade, that would be
*your* speciality here. There are no *master* tapes with more than
80dB dynamic range, so your arm-waving speculation is just so much
smoke and mirrors, as is usual with you.

snip more insubstantial blather by Ruud

: As I said - lunacy. And ignorance.
: --
sure, i ignore your 'facts' as they are not in fact factual, just your
imagination working overtime - there _is_ a difference
R.

There certainly is a difference. I am quoting real-world figures, you
are making up fairy stories.