Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:48:41 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .
: On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:56:47 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: wrote:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:59:24 +0200, "Ruud Broens"
: : wrote:
: : :
: : : Vinyl, on the best day of its life, is around 12 bits
: : : equivalent. The widest dynamic range known on a music
: : : master tape is around 80dB, 14 bits will allow a properly
: : : dithered dynamic range of 81dB. What's the problem?
: : :: snip, irrelevant
: : :
: : Explain why your claimed dynamic range of mastertapes is relevant
: : to the establishment of a hifi standard of dynamic range.
: :
: : It sets the limit to what the replay medium need encompass.
: :
: : Actual music should set the dynamic range target, not some
: : -- this is technically possible in the 80's -- arbitrary range.
: :
: : Actual live music never exceeds about 85-90dB,
: : even under *very* exceptional circumstances, and is
: : more commonly 65-70dB dynamic range.
:
: So you're saying a 90 dB dynamic range is there for the taking,
: but your listening room's awfully noisy airco makes it impossible
: to enjoy ? No wonder you claim all amps sound the same :-)
:
: Are you being deliberately obscure, or are you just stupid? I'm
: referring to the dynamic range of the *original performance*.

don't go into politics, SP - your rebuttals lack convincing power ;-)
:
: Besides, I live in the UK, and as is the norm here, I don't have
: aircon. I do have one slow-running fan in the room, in my Krell, and
: that does set the noise floor in the room, at something in the
: mid-20s. It's a *very* quiet room - one advantage of living in the
: country, with a concrete slab floor, 13" thick walls and deep triple
: glazing. The *room* is certainly capable of achieving 90dB dynamic
: range, even if there's no available *recording* with that range.
:
: : this century, they can attain higher master tape quality, Stewart:
: : http://www.strongestudios.com/folio.html
: : so your 80 dB sound like a gospel :-)
: :
: : You don't know much about recording, do you Ruud? There's no way that
: : will exceed 65dB dynamic range.
: :
: : no numbers, but interesting anyway :
: : http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2192/essays7.html
: :
: : Rudy
: : heard a concert grand played up close
: : 80 dB for real ? no Sttway, Jose
: :
: : You are confusing dynamic range with maxiumum SPL, the *noise floor*
: : will hardly ever be less than 40dB SPL.
: : --
: -you mean, you've got _that much_ noise coming from your speakers
: ... that's sad.
: -- you are confusing facts with your overheated imagination, SP
: --- omniscience claim noted.
:
: Your idiocy continues. That's the noise floor of the concert hall,
: only studio recordings are able to get below a 30dB noise floor, and
: that would require pretty quiet breathing on the part of the
: performers. As noted above, with only me sitting quietly in it, my
: listening room is somewhere in the mid-20s (very difficult to measure
: due to self-noise in the microphone).

Interesting tactic - first rewriting music as _live music_, then claiming
from that point onwards that's what i wrote
- taken lessons in the debating trade ?

Your stupidity appears to be unbounded - specifying live music, i.e.
acoustic jazz, classical etc, works in your favour, as amplified music
has even less dynamic range.

: : Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering
:
: As from environmental factors, 27 dB daytime eq. reported in NL iirc.
: That's in average living rooms, should be better in your dedicated room
: , i presume.
:
: I have yet to find an *average* living room that quiet, I'd have said
: that 30-35 dB was more normal in daytime, more for urban dwellings.
:
: I'm not confusing, i'm detracting one from the other, eh ?
: in this case**, 110 - 20 = 90 dB range.
:
: From where did you get the 20?
I got lucky - found it in a breakfast cereal box
- where did you find your 40, P.?

Acoustics textbooks, also wide experience or real concert halls.

...deceptive editing noted.....**

: but anyway, surely you're not
: saying that the background noise level in a listening room should
: dictate the range that should be captured on a medium ?
:
: No, you completely misread what I wrote. For most people, it does
: however set a limit of around 70-80dB in the replay system, from the
: 30-35 of the room noise floor to the 105-110 of the system at the
: listening position.

agreed.

Exceptionally quiet rooms housing exceptionally
: powerful systems can extend this to a little more than 90dB, which is
: wider than you'll ever need.

a little more ? need ?? to use a direct quote: Bull****!
evidently, _you_ misread music as live music ...
without it, of course, you argumentation falls utterly apart.

What lunacy is this? What kind of music do you now claim you are
talking about?