Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Recommend a ~$400 2-channel tube mic-preamp?

wrote:
In case anyone else stumble across this thread I will say...Scott Dorsey is=
full of ****e! The ART Pro MPAII is a fantastic, mic preamp with full volt=
age going to the tubes (150 volts). It is also very sensitive to tube chang=
es. I've extensively tested many NOS tubes and found JAN Phillips 5751s are=
the best. I've A/Bd the ART Pro MPAII with the JAN Phillips 5751s against =
many high end pres like the UA610, and the Analog Designs Black Box pre and=
neither can hold a candle to the modded ART.

I'm glad you like it. I am sure it's useful for some things.

But don't call it a tube preamp. It's a solid state preamp with a tube
distortion stage. Yes, it does have a 150V B+ for the distortion stage
(which is NOT even remotely the same as having 150V on the plates), but
that doesn't make it linear and it doesn't make it sound like a real tube
preamp (where most of the coloration comes from the transformers).

The actual mike preamp section is the typical bargain basement design with
2N4401/2N4403 transistors paralleled for low noise. It's a good design in
terms of getting decent performance out of cheap parts, but there's no tube
and no transformer there.

If you like it, that's great. But call it what it is.