Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Peter, the reviews that I have looked at say that it does have a
completely redesigned mike amps and possibly AD. Do you have info
otherwise? Have you tried one?

You're submitting theysay as evidence?

I'll re-iterate, based on hearsay, which is to say that I tell you what I
heard:

If you want a budget contraption to record with, then get a MR8HD,
remember to fix its polarity error in post, and an external preamp or
two - and 4 good microphones, four of a kind is good if you get them
right, two pairs can offer you a wider range of properties.

The MR8HD sounds like plastic with low input levels, but gets cleaner
with the gain turned down below about "4". Two passable candidates
that have gotten nice mentionings by othes in the past are probably
Symetrix 302 or RNP. Or a Mackie 1202, its preamps are in fact OK, I
made one of my very best recordings using a 1202's preamps and a
MR8HD and 4 well chosen identical microphones, sonic properties came
together in a good way, so it was a very good setup.

Note: I only used the preamps, this does not constitute A comment of
any kind on the 1202's general properties.

Again: An Oade modified R44 is a good choice for a stand alone
recording implement for those that do not care to drag external
preamps along, the one I know of (not mine) is impressively well
aounding and very clean.

And then there is the Sound Devices thing all suggest that you rent for a
week-end, I'll chime in because you need to know what good is before
choosing between the mediocre.

I have four AT-2050s and they sound good.

In Germany they want a car to be autobahnfest. I want my microphones to be
violinfest. It is when you have those that are that you look into the ones
for vox at 1 meter, such as the AT-2050 or - if you are good at selecting
proper product - something chinese-chinese. There are bargains to be found
out there.

Oh, and it is irrelevant for the sound recording whether a simultanous
video-recording is taking place that it will replace sound on, it not
totally irrelevant in post.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen