Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Zoom H6

(hank alrich) writes:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

These mike graphs look terrific! Especially at the bass end!
Look almost as good as my Audio Technicas!

Oh, yes, it's all about the way sound looks.

Jesus deliver us.

Indeed! (See my other post about how human vision can screw up human sound
perception. And here Hank has pointed out another way -- "seeing" a graph and having
that visual memory influence what you ultimately think you hear.)

And the following fact has been missing from these threads on how to record an
ensemble: nearly all cardioide microphones suffer LF roll-off, some quite profound.
Some figure-8s have the same issue. Nature of the beast(s). This is useful in many
situations, but certainly not all.

IIRC, Schoeps suggested adding an omni to their M-S or ORTF rigs to improve LF
response. You low-passed this added omni so as to not screw up your basic stereo
field.

Some M-S rigs use an "omni" for the M mic, though that omni might be more
directional in the high end. Mind you, a cardioide Schoeps is going to be light
years ahead of a cardioide AT, yet for serious work Schoeps still suggested
incorporating an omni.

This is one of the benefits of using a stereo mic scheme that employs omnis from the
get-go -- LF response. And it's more than just tilting up the LF with EQ in post.
There seem to be phase and "air movement" issues as well (and perhaps other things)
that an EQ boost simply cannot correct.

Frank
Mobile Audio