Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.pro
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default arithmetically challenged people

On 13/05/2011 3:14 AM, PeterD wrote:
On 5/12/2011 10:52 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 12/05/2011 10:29 PM, PeterD wrote:
On 5/12/2011 2:07 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 12/05/2011 4:03 PM, Kevin Krell wrote:
On 5/11/2011 2:07 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
As I'm working, "Let's Make a Deal" is on. A woman has four rolls
of a
die
to get 10 points or more. She gets 8 on the first two rolls. So...
does she
or the host say "No need to roll again?" No! She actually rolls the
die!

OK, guess I'm mathematically challenged, then. Of course she has to
roll
again, at least once more (and possibly twice if #3 is a one), as
the 8
is still less than the 10 you're saying she requires.

But she's bound to get at least 1 on each subsequent roll, so no matter
what happens she wins. Accordingly, as the OP indicated, there's no
need
to bother.

Sylvia

You need to understand the rules of game TV to understand why they did
what they did. It was not an option to 'give it to her', she was
required to roll.

Rules?

Sylvia.

Yes, the federal government has rules in place for game shows, in effect
since the early 60s, following a number of scandals where contestants
were given 'special' treatment.

Any details? I note (from promos and 'news' items, not from watching
them) that contestants in Biggest Slob and Master Burgerflipper seem to
come back after being eliminated.

Sylvia.