Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Preliminary thoughts on film location recording rig

In article , wrote:
YEah and if they ask, I can get X, and I"m going to rent it
to them because it's not in the standard package I bring.

MOst of these folks aren't in a position of knowledge about
wtf they really need anyway. SO, yeah tell 'em you have it,
and will rent it to 'em at whatever your rental rate is plus
10%, collect the check and laugh. Just tell 'em it doesn't
come with your standard package, cause it's so cool.

That can work and it can also backfire.

So many of the folks on the bottom end of the market are kids who have
maxed out their credit cards buying a RED because they know the RED is
the coolest thing around and the resolution looked so good when they
watched the sample videos on youtube. They don't know how to use it,
they don't know how to compose, and they don't know how to set the gain
controls on the audio inputs.

It becomes your job first of all to convince these folks, who don't know
anything about what the job requires but are very brand-conscious, to hire
you.

Then it becomes your job to handhold them.

If you think you have seen clueless brand-obsessed idiots in the audio
world, the cinema world is a thousand times worse.

These guys have basically no respect for the people, just for the
equipment, and that's especially sad because bad sound will turn
off the viewer long before bad image quality will.

OF course it will, and they're the guys gonna offer you a
balloney sandwich and a picture of Franklin to work on their
project for a week.
FInd 'em all over craigslist.

The problem is that you're now competing with the craigslist guys. I'm
sorry, I can't compete with those folks. I have to actually eat and sleep.