Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Preliminary thoughts on film location recording rig

On 2010-08-25 (ScottDorsey) said:
YEp, lots of stuff to buy. That's why I'm suggesting rent
what you might need as you need it for some items, such as
lav kit.

The problem is, and I am really said to say it, that inexperienced
young directors hire almost exclusively based upon the equipment
list. If you have X, and you can provide X, they'll hire you
because of your X and not necessarily because you know how to use
it.

YEah and if they ask, I can get X, and I"m going to rent it
to them because it's not in the standard package I bring.

MOst of these folks aren't in a position of knowledge about
wtf they really need anyway. SO, yeah tell 'em you have it,
and will rent it to 'em at whatever your rental rate is plus
10%, collect the check and laugh. Just tell 'em it doesn't
come with your standard package, cause it's so cool.

Crossrenting stuff now and then is fine for things you don't use
very often, but you will get calls asking if you have X, and if you
don't have X (and maybe you have something much better than X),
they'll thank you and hang up.

OF course, so tell 'em you got it, as I noted above, and
this is what it costs 'em to use it. IT's like the doofus
wants a $400 remote truck project and wants to know do I
have pt. I tell him I can get him tracks he can import into
pt. AFter all, we're not doing precision editing in the
truck, this is a live performance. DOesn't really matter if
I have pt or not, I"m not going to be using all those
features on a live recording, at that stage of production
anyway.

THen he kicks tires and asks price. USually I get him
around to that even before he asks me the usual pt question.
I ask him how much he's expecting to pay for this. MOst
times the figure is so low I laugh, especially if it's a
full band thing. IF it's a choir or something like that
we'll talk.

These guys have basically no respect for the people, just for the
equipment, and that's especially sad because bad sound will turn
off the viewer long before bad image quality will.

OF course it will, and they're the guys gonna offer you a
balloney sandwich and a picture of Franklin to work on their
project for a week.
FInd 'em all over craigslist.

I've started calling craigslist lowballer central.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com