Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Preliminary thoughts on film location recording rig

Donovan Digital wrote:
Note to self: next time skip gearslutz. Scott, your awesomeness
succeeds beyond the impossibke yet again. Thanks tons for the info.

There's actually a better group for this: rec.arts.movies.production.sound.
It's worth just sitting there and watching what goes by for a while.

I have a Shure FP32 here and I have used it on a lot of things that I
wouldn't admit to in public. It sounds like it has cheap transformers
in it, and you have to be REALLY careful with gain structure because it
overloads much too easily. It's very clearly more of an ENG mixer than
a serious film sound mixer... but I have used it and been careful with
it and nobody has ever complained. I sure wouldn't use it on a classical
gig but for dialogue work it'll do the job and it won't break down and
it won't have RFI issues. Which is more than I can say for some expensive
and better-sounding field mixers.