Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Preliminary thoughts on film location recording rig

On 2010-08-25 (ScottDorsey) said:
You aren't going to get mike kits worth anything in that range. If
you have to go cheap, I would consider doing the Countryman Isomax
thing.

RIght, which is why I suggested rentals of wireless lav kit.

You will need a boom, a boom operator, a shotgun mike and good
hypercardioid. And a couple of pairs of good headphones. And some
isolation boxes.

YEp, lots of stuff to buy. That's why I'm suggesting rent
what you might need as you need it for some items, such as
lav kit.

for mixers I am looking at shure FP line.

You could do worse, but I would avoid telling potential customers
that you are using a SHure.

True, but a lot of good work has been done on them, and I"m
sure is still being done.

snip

Well, the good news is that this is a sector of the industry that
is still growing, even in spite of the lousy economy. The bad
news is that, and especially down at the bottom of the market,
there is also increasing competition.

THis is true, and another reason I"m suggesting rentals of
some kit. TOo many lowballers. Pass those rental costs
onto the client with a bit more for your overhead, and don't
budge on the equipment rentals. IT'll keep some of the
lowballers at bay, and help you compensate you more fairly
for the jobs you do take as you can pad the rental costs, or
make the client responsible for acquiring gear they spec as
rentals while you learn the ins and outs and build your rep.

Spend the money, get Lectro packs. They are expensive, but
customers will ask if you have them.

YEs, if you're going to buy spend the money for the LEctros.

Boom/shotgun
Pros; in demand
Cons; expensive, not immediately useful

A boom mike is far more useful than lavs, and you can't really use
lavs effectively without a boom mike for ambience. Otherwise you
get very unnatural and isolated sound. You probably want a good
hypercardioid, which is much more versatile than a shotgun. An
AT4053 is a good first pick but it will not get you business the
way the Schoeps will. Potential customers will ask if you have a
Schoeps.

Right, and it's a good mic for the studio mic kit as well,
so if you don't already have something in your studio mic
arsenal it's a better investment.

Clapboard/sync generator
Pros; pays well
Cons; not everyone needs it, a long time before its useful

If you are working on a multi-camera shoot with timecode, you will
need one, and you can rent it then.

True enough. BUild a relationship with your favorite rental
house in NYC.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com