Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Preliminary thoughts on film location recording rig

On 2010-08-25 said:
I'm a live/studio cat in the NYC burbs looking to dip his toes into
location recording. My stepfather, a semipro videographer, asked
that I specify two lav kits (mic, belt pack, reciever) and a mixer
for direct input to his handheld DV cam. Mic kits should be ~$300,
mixer should be ~$1.5k . Having access to some additional funding,
I decided this would be a great opportunity to look at longer-term
options re pooling resources with him for a larger location sound
loadout and then looking for work in the city.

Can understand that. I'd get a good boom rig instead of the
lavs, and rent them when work requires it. YOu can't get
top quality wireless rigs with that budget, and being NYC
area there are rental places that can rent you higher end
gear and charge the client for rentals.
chances are if you're well equipped with your studio you
already have some possible choices for a good boom. Search
the archives on rec.arts.movies.production-sound.

I'd concentrate on recorder and mixer for field use, with
time code and slating capability available to you as well.
If you must add to the mic locker add a good pro boom rig,
boom hardware as well. rent the wireless until budget
allows you to buy what you want, or you really decide what
you want.

for mixers I am looking at shure FP line.

Lots of good work has been done on them. SOund devices are
more high end these days, but more $$$. AGain google and
the ramps archive is your friend here. I"d say though that
you're not doing bad starting out with the Shure fp line.
See below.
snip
Give him $ for better lavs;
Pros; cheap, build a strong base.
Cons; work options still limited;

RIght, which is why I say you might be better building a
good boom rig, renting labs, and maybe even stepping up to
SD over Shure fp line for your mixer because of the added
feature set. Renting allows you to get better wireless than
you can afford to buy right now.

Boom/shotgun
Pros; in demand
Cons; expensive, not immediately useful

Maybe not, depends on what you already have in your mic
locker. But, one good boom rig can be had, even if not
wireless at first for the lav budget, or better. rEnt those
radios.
snip again

THe real limiting factor is the work, but you can do good
work for folks this way. YEs, you're charging wireless lav
rig rentals to the client. Get the foundation of the rig
and rent that stuff, consider 'em consumables right now or
however you need to justify it.

GOod luck.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com