Ty Ford

Default Neumann KM84

In Article ,
(ScotFraser) wrote:
I hope you can carry this experiment out, and am especially glad to see
that you'd test more than one sample of each model. More than two of
each would be even better, particularly if the serial numbers aren't very
close together (per model). I think that if you can determine when the
microphones were made, you'll find that there's greater variation across
years and capsule batches than there is between the two models as such.

I have 4 KM140s, but they're very close serial number-wise, one pair
consecutive, the other near consecutive & only about 50 off the first pair.
Sounds like 2 pairs of 184s have been offered up from Ben & Uncle Russ, so we
should have useable results.

--I have to admit that I don't get the remarks people made about your
preamp since I've never used a Focusrite--is that a strongly "flavored"
preamp?

No, it's a somewhat flavored pre based on Rupert Neve's original channel strip
designed after he left the Neve company. It's more transparent than the old
Neve console channels, 10xx series, but more colored than current high end
designs like Great River, Millennia, Grace, Hardy, Avalon et al. The main point
is I have 4 channels of the Focusrite ISA428 available here, & only 2 of any
other designs. If somebody wants to bring over another 2 channels of Millennia
that would be great, but I think the real issue here is to discern how the 184
& 140 differ sonically, & frankly a Mackie mixer should tell us that.
Scott Fraser

I have 4 channels of GML...

Ty

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on
http://www.jagunet.com/~tford