Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default More from the Don Pearce School of Miscalculation, was Williamson by QUAD?

"John Byrns" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"John Byrns" wrote in message

In article .com,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Sep 11, 6:24 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

For your information: all American V8 engines are 90 degree engines.

'Cept for a 1961 GM engine,

Peter, are you saying that GM had a 60 degree V8 gasoline engine that
was used in a 1961 US production automobile?

None that I know of.

True, the early 60s were a time of engine diversity for GM.

They had a relatively huge (3.3 liter) slant-4 cut out of a 90 degree V8.

They had that small aluminium V8 they eventually sold to Rover.

They made a car with an available I4 cut off of an I6, which was a real
throw-back in those days.

The I4 was later resurrected as the "Iron Duke"

Exactly. It was offered in the initial Chevy II, but about zero were ever
sold. GM redirected it into the industrial engine market and by all
acccounts, it sold and served well. It was just the ticket for a small
combine or big irrigation pump.

They had a flat 6 that was built like a motorcycle engine with jugs.

I had one of those, a great little engine.

As did I, 140 gross hp and 4 single-barrel carbs. I ran it long enough for
the jug gaskets to leak like sieves.

You forgot the SOHC I6 they had in the mid 1960s.

Note my OP - "early 60s". Yes, they did the OHC I6 for Pontiac in, if memory
serves, 1966. The Wikipedia agrees.

I think this one may
have been the first automobile engine to use the now ubiquitous timing
belt to drive the cam.

You mean the now-ubiquitous steel-reinforced-rubber timing belt... There a
Fiat OHC I4 with one that was also introduced in 1966 - the 124. Fiat's
implementation included a camshaft that would go idle after belt breakage
with valves interfering with the pistons. Thus a minor belt failure became a
total engine failure.

also owned one of these, I love most all GM 6
cylinder engines, except maybe the old Pontiac flathead six. I also
owned a couple of GM's cast iron 60 degree V6 engines.

My first driver was an old 1958 chevvy Biscayne with the old "Blue Flame"
235 I6. You know, the one that was in the first Corvette. ;-)

They had a 90 degree V6 in the days when conventional wisdom was that V6s
needed to be 60 degrees. (hold that thouught!) No balance shaft, either!
Can
we say rock and roll? ;-)

IIRC this engine was developed to replace the ill fated aluminum V6 that
they dumped on Rover,

The aluminum that Rover got was a 214 V8. There was a turbocharged version
of it with water injection - Oldsmobile.

and IIRC it was derived from an existing V8 so it
could be built on the same line with existing tooling.

The V8 that begat the 90 degree V6 was the smalleruick "Nail head" cast iron
V8.

It soon went the
way of the aluminum V8 and was sold to Willis/Jeep, GM eventually bought
it back in the 1970s.

Agreed, except that by then Willys/Jeep was part of AMC.

They eventually converted it to an "even fire"
design with a special crank

That was the original design - a *special* crank. However they updated it,
and finally added a balance shaft.

and both my and my wife's automobiles are