David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"floatingboy" wrote in message oups.com...
i knew someone would make a comment like this. obviously this is a
template based on solid recording techniques. it's something any
self-respecting engineer should know. what you do beyond this is up to
you. i'd compare it to the difference between realist and abstract
art. he's giving you the da vinci version. if you wanna be picasso,
go ahead. but rest assured that picasso possessed a solid command of
realist techniques before he ever moved on into cubism.

make sense?

david morley wrote:
BIG SNIP

Copyright Kevin Doyle 2005

Wow. You own the copyright on how to record music?
COOL!

Of course it's a 'template'; that of which we all know is not necessarily
transferable from situation to situation. It's nicely done, although at 75kb
it's a little on the 'hefty' side for a Usenet posting that may not develop
much in the way of discussion.

Yes... it's something to know, but until you put your hands on the gear
and DO the work yourself, over and over again, and then examine your
results over and over again, it's just words on the screen - or words on
paper if you decide print it out and treat it like a historical revelation.

The glorious thing about this business is that is NO fixed set of rights and
wrongs -- there are thousands of ways to achieve similar results, and
thousands of results to similar approaches. OK... I sorta' take that back....
I think there are some 'wrongs'. A couple of them. One is to operate a
piece of equipment so as to damage it; and the other is to do something
a client has asked you specifically *not* to do. Other than that, the sky
is the limit, and possibility of interpretation and application are almost
infinite.

Call it Da Vinci (with capital letters) of recording technique if you like, but
it will always be just another painting (with an overly large canvas in this
case) to a lot of people.

Personally... I'd rarely ever consider a set of 414s or U-87s as drum
overheads, let alone swallow the thought of someone telling me that
they are simply "THE" first choice. Duct tape on drum heads(?)...
not for me. Mandatory 45 degree angle to tom mics? What mics?
Why? And this is just from observing three sentences from one
paragraph of one section. No... as an _assertion_, this isn't something
I'd jump to compare to Da Vinci or Picasso.

Variety is the spice of life and the core of non 'cookie-cutter' creativity
in audio production. There are no stone tablets. Unless, like Kevin,
you have the experience to justify them. And even then, they aren't
really carved in stone and should not be presented that way. A re-write
that includes 'options', reasons for a given choice or preference, and
that leaves room for an individual's creativity & room for disagreement
would make the article a lot more 'readable'.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com