Scott Dorsey

Default small room (relatively); big monitors

perry wrote:

well i have taken quite a liking to genelec 1038s.

however the room i am buiding out in my house is 16'x13.5'x12'

these are the maximum dimensions that i can have. of course i can drop
the ceiling, "get smaller", but that's the maximum... if i
soffit-mount the speakers, obviously the length (16') gets smaller...

are these monitors too big for this room? can monitors be too big for
a room?
if so, can this be overcome.. i am willing to do much legwork and hire
outside help if need be.
although the SPL might seem overkill, i do club music, and these
babies sound great to me LOUD and at nearfield level.

Try them. I think you'll find that they are too large for the room, in
that you'll have to sit too close to them to get good sound from them.
If you're happy, though, keep them. If you are not, consider the
Genelec 1032, which is voiced similarly to the 1038 but has a little
more restricted bottom and won't go as loud.