Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default Audio and "Special Problems"

Audio_Empire wrote:
On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:04:26 AM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

On Monday, October 28, 2013 5:27:08 AM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:

I'll define what I mean: any ADC/DAC that cannot be distinguished from
a piece of wire in a listening test is transparent.

Yes, that is the accepted definition. However, I can tell you, we
aren't "there" yet. While that would be an impossible test to
actually perform on a D/A converter,

Eh? Surely it's easy.

Easy? One of us is smoking' something, surely! Please tell me how
you compare a DAC directly against a straight wire?

Well, you need an ADC as well, obviously. That doesn't invalidate the
test, as long as the time delay isn't very long.

Andrew.