Matthew Leonhardt

Default Bi-wiring - Hogwash?

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"Bob Saccamano" wrote:

I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only

have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

No. The really dumb thing is that there's still a crossover inside.

Separating the drives for each speaker is only interesting when you have
multiple amps and electronic crossovers. You can fine tune the
crossover, isolate clipping, and use amplifiers with different powers
and qualities. This is why subs are often driven from a separate
Class-D amp.

It actually really depends on a lot of factors...it's possible that instead
of using a crossover, each speaker has it's own high-pass and low-pass
filter respectively. That would seem to make more sense because that allows
for bi-amping without an active crossover at some point in the signal path.
What it really comes down to is the wiring inside the speaker cabinets.
Your best bet is to calculate the load that your amp will see in both
situations. If your amp sees a lower impedence with the bi-wiring (a likely
possibility since you are forcing parallel wiring on the drivers), your
amplifier will have to do less work to produce more sound. You will also
want to check the specs on your amp though to make sure it is designed to
handle the lower impedence.

Matt Leonhardt