Posted to rec.audio.pro
Emiliano Grilli Emiliano Grilli is offline

Default Revox PR99 Mk III question

On 21 Gen, 19:13, "Paul Stamler" wrote:

Third: The Revox has XLR outputs; the Folio has 1/4" inputs. Exactly how are
you converting? XLR to TRS? Again, I don't know the board, so I don't know
if the stereo inputs come in on a single 1/4" "stereo" jack (tip for L, ring
for R) or a pair of them. Please tell me.

That hint led me to the solution... I'm feeling very lame for not
being able to spot the problem by hear, but double checking the
connections I've found that the two cables connecting the revox outs
to the console were reversed in polarity

Now it's so much better. Thank you very much for helping me.

I have another question

The manual instruct me to feed the recorder with a 1 khz tone at the
"desired operating level" when calibrating the inputs.

I'm using csound for generating the tone, and the opcode ampdb (http://
mitpress.mit.edu/e-books/csound/fpage/pub/csbook/Manual4.0/valcnv/
dbamp.htm) for setting its level.

If I understand correctly this level is going to represent 0 VU on the
machine's meters, is that right?

What is considered a good value for this operating level compared with
0db digital?

Peace,
Paul

thanks