Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Revox PR99 Mk III question

On Jan 21, 12:00 pm, Emiliano Grilli
wrote:

Yes, but I have the same signal on the console, and there I hear a lot
of bass that isn't there on the deck, monitoring SOURCE.

Listening tests are good, but if you're trying to solve a problem, or
determine if there's a problem and where it is, measurements are
better.

If I'm interpreting your setup correctly, you have the console output
connected to the input of your recorder and the output of the recorder
connected back into the console. You're switching (at the console)
between listening to the direct console output (as fed to the
recorder) and what's coming out of the recorder?

And you're losing bass, even with the recorder set to Input Monitor?

There's something very wrong here, either with the recorder, the
console input that you're usinjg to monitor the recorder, or the
hookup.

Proper alignment requires some references - a known, or at least fixed
(sine wave) input source and, for playback alignment, a standard test
tape. If the recorder is operating properly and it's properly
connected to your monitoring system, you can make some adjustments so
that it sounds best, but you won't know where you are in reference to
the rest of the world, and you may be making problems for yourself.

Alignment is simple, but you can't do it without test equipment. And
there's no sense in doing an alignment until you fix all the real
problems, which it appears that you have.