Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mike Coatham Mike Coatham is offline

Default turntable nightmare

analogman wrote in message ...

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
t...
Eeyore wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:36:02 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Decided a few weeks ago to upgrade from my new but cheap $100 or
less turntable, I made the assumption that a basic turntable from
the 70's or 80's would be considerably better than what I had
considering the thin plastic platter etc... of my current
turntable, was this assumption wrong?

Of course it's wrong.

Is 70s auto technology a match for today's for example ?

Yeah, but vintage vinyl-playing gear is GOOD. Modern gear is BAD. Do
try to keep up :-)

Silly me.

I'd nearly forgotten that it's all about worshipping OLD things.

Graham

The OP's modern piece of plastic junk is not a good example of modern
technology. It is not so much a turntable as a "record player".
There are some good modern turntables, yes, but not at the 100.00 price
point that the OP mentioned, not even close.

Thanks, I knew someone would understand why I did not mention the exact
models, a very cheap modern turntable and an also ran turntable from the
80's or maybe late 70's are hardly going to be widely recognised by model
name, i would be very luck indeed if someone knew the exact models, that
said I could have described the old turntable a little more, it is a

direct
drive quartz locked pll model and also I should have included a currency
reference with the value of the new player which is actually more at the

US
$60 - $70 mark.

Well, Mr analogman, in view of the fact you aren't prepared to tell us the
important information -i.e. make & model , I suggest in future you direct y
our questions to rec.audio.clairvoyants. They should be able to second
guess the answers to your questions.
In other words.....go and kick someone elses tyres