Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Default turntable nightmare

analogman wrote in message ...

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
t...
Eeyore wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:36:02 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Decided a few weeks ago to upgrade from my new but cheap $100 or
less turntable, I made the assumption that a basic turntable from
the 70's or 80's would be considerably better than what I had
considering the thin plastic platter etc... of my current
turntable, was this assumption wrong?

Of course it's wrong.

Is 70s auto technology a match for today's for example ?

Yeah, but vintage vinyl-playing gear is GOOD. Modern gear is BAD. Do
try to keep up :-)

Silly me.

I'd nearly forgotten that it's all about worshipping OLD things.

Graham

The OP's modern piece of plastic junk is not a good example of modern
technology. It is not so much a turntable as a "record player".
There are some good modern turntables, yes, but not at the 100.00 price
point that the OP mentioned, not even close.

Thanks, I knew someone would understand why I did not mention the exact
models, a very cheap modern turntable and an also ran turntable from the
80's or maybe late 70's are hardly going to be widely recognised by model
name, i would be very luck indeed if someone knew the exact models, that
said I could have described the old turntable a little more, it is a
direct
drive quartz locked pll model and also I should have included a currency
reference with the value of the new player which is actually more at the
US
$60 - $70 mark.

Could be the OP's stylus just picked up a ball of fuzz playing the first

one
or 2 records...the issue of cleaning etc was not addressed, IIRC.

No this is not the issue but thanks.

Recommend a mid-70's to mid-80's direct drive and a Grado Prestige black
cartridge. Best to have it installed and aligned by someone knowledgeable

help eliminate this variable. Obviously, the magnetic preamp, whether a
small add-on, or from an integrated amp/receiver, should be in order, and

of
course the output to be recorded must go to the Line In of the sound
card,
and not the Mic input (common mistake - this info for the OP, not for the
regulars here...)

Mark Z.

I had no intention of connecting this to a soundcard it is to use to play
my
records on my 1989 pioneer reference amp which has mm and mc phono inputs
with equalization. I am pretty sure I have aligned it properly except for
vta which I don't know how to do as my tonearm does not appear to be
adjustable in this way although I could be wrong on this, were most
tonearms
adjustable for vta on run of the mill turntables?

The modern ones I'm thinking of, the Pioneer / Aiwa / Denon / Sony
made-in-China plastic ones which all come out of the same hole, do not have
adjustable tracking force or tracking angle.
A visual inspection should tell if the VTA is close - the underside of the
cartridge should be close to level with the record surface, and the very end
of the stylus cantilever which actually holds the diamond, should be
parallel to the record surface. Not the whole shaft mind you, just the very
end where the diamond is.

Mark Z.