Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default turntable nightmare

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message
news:M%Gch.412$R_1.356@trndny08...
I think one of the reasons today's audio gear is so "bad" has a lot to do
with the fact that hi-fi audio is not a popular hobby any more. Back in

the
70s, there were several popular stereo audio magazines, a stereo shop in
every mall, and there was a high demand for quality two-channel gear. Now,
the magazines are gone, and the stores are closed. For the same $$, mfrs.
now have to provide six or seven audio channels to six or seven speakers
using a bunch of DSP logic. The quality is spread a lot thinner. Most

people
today really only care that the sound will play loud, with big

assplosions,
and go round and round their head.

Yes, in fact when adjusted for inflation/wage growth, HiFi equipment is a
lot better now than it ever was. The problem is that people seem to get by
with equipment that costs far less in real terms than the cheapest available
crap from the 60's,70's and 80's. Most people are just not prepared to spend
the same percentage of their wage on HiFi any more.
I am always amazed at how many people insist a good $500 amp from the
70's/80's is better than any $500 amp today. Well of course, but are they
better than a good $4,000 amp today? I think not.

MrT.