Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Windows Is Driving Me To Drink! (Win7 This Time)

I went years with barely a lick of computer trouble and now I have it in
spades.

I had the Windows 7 computer working pretty well, even talking to other
computers on my network. Today I tried to access it from one of the
WinXP computers which I could previously do, and I got an Access Denied
pop-up. I thought something might have happened to the sharing setting
on the folder I was trying to access, so I took a look and a bunch of
folders, the My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, etc. all had little
arrows through the icon next to the file name. There was actually a
duplicate set, one with the arrows, one without.

I did a net search for Access Denied on Win7 when trying to access from
a WinXP networked computer and found that this indicated some sort of
"junction piont" that was a result of changes to Windows to accommodate
the change from the My Documents folder to the Users folder. It didn't
say what to do about it.

It wasn't all that important that I couldn't access that computer from
the network. It would talk the other way, so if I wanted to get a file
from the XP computer to the Win7 computer, I could go to the Win7
computer, access the file on the WinXP computer, and drag it over. But
the ****er was that those folders, both the ones with the arrows and
their counterpart names without the arrows, popped up the same "Access
Denied" message when I tried to open them from the computer that they're
on.

At my wits end, I decided to take the low road and do a "clean Windows
install." So starting from scratch, I didn't see those little arrows . .
.. until I tried to access the computer from a WinXP computer. Then the
little arrows came back.

Should I re-install Windows again, put a piece of gaffer tape over the
network connection port and turn it into a nun? Be one of those people
who say "I only want it for audio and it'll never go on the Internet?"