Posted to rec.audio.pro
chris ruth chris ruth is offline

Default mics for classical guitar

On Dec 9, 3:53*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
chris ruth wrote:

Maybe i should stick with the Octava MK-012s for the small room
recording and just get another mic for live??

What don't you like about the MK-012s? *I think you'll be hard-pressed to
find a pair of anything better in that price range. *The Oktava is really
a pretty good mike.

First off, i usually them in ORTF, after lots of experimenting (i have
not tried the omni's pointing at the ceiling though. That's why i post
here!) . The issue is no matter what room i try (for solo recording),
i find i have to be very close (like a few inches), otherwise it's
starts to sound like crap (with either capsule). So I do a little EQ
(sometimes) add some reverb and a get a 'decent' recording. However,
the recording never sounds as good as my guitar sounds to my ears.
It's a really beautiful intrument, made by a local luthier, Aaron
Green (i'll give him a plug). And i can't seem to capture that
beautiful sound in a recording. I even tried to record a really good
player playing my guitar. I was blown away by the sound sitting in
front of him but the recording, well just ok.
For ensemble recording i tried ortf not far enough away, with the
omni's and basically got a recording of the center guitars. It was my
first time, i'm totally green. There was another time i recorded a
koto ensemble, put the mics farther, but got too much room and sounded
like crap.

I have not tried the usbpre 2 yet but i'm not expected a huge
improvement from that. All the above was done with a tascam.

thanks