Posted to rec.audio.pro
M0she_ M0she_ is offline

Default Very Interesting Gearslutz Thread Can differences in hardware be heard?

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:52:52 -0800, Richard Crowley wrote:

"Hank" wrote ...
The difference between the sound coming out of an Arp Schnitger or a
Cavaillé-Coll organ is quite different between them, but both are
radically different from a "Mighty Wurtilizer(sic)" theater organ.
Did C-C screw up the voicing by use of Barker levers? We won't talk
about Hope-Jones's electric action in Mighty Wurtilizers.

All of the real differences are quite detectable by looking a stop
lists.

I put online my photo-tour of the Reiger factory (back in 1987 when
they were in Austria, still split in half by the Iron Curtain). I got a
significant amount of flack for suggesting that only the disreputable
theatre organ builders did such dastardly things as nicking the lips
of the pipes. http://www.rcrowley.com/Rieger/Tour.htm
I believe the company has since re-joined its other branch of the
family in the former East Germany (or something like that?)

Fascinating!
I sent that link to my friend whose father was an organ builder,
now long retired.
I'm sure he will enjoy it!