Posted to rec.audio.pro
M0she_ M0she_ is offline

Default Very Interesting Gearslutz Thread Can differences in hardware be heard?

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 04:30:47 -0800 (PST), Ethan Winer wrote:

On Feb 22, 1:02 am, M0she_ wrote:
(I am paraphrasing in a huge way here)

Actually, you nailed it perfectly. :-)

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan!
FWIW I downloaded your files and listened along with the video and
I don't hear any difference in the comparisons until the intended
butchering of the files reaches a crazy level.

Of course I am not listening in a $200k or more studio nor is my
gear pristine.
I have RME and Delta cards, JBL 6328 and Event ASP8 monitors but
even my Genelec 8040 which I just sold gave me similar results.

I don't consider myself a golden eared person, not by a long shot
however I have over the years heard differences in gear but not
having the technical specs handy or better yet performance
measurements I can't be sure what the differences were attributed
to.

I think you've made people think and in the process have ruffled
more than a few feathers.
I for one would love to see a double blind, controlled listening
comparison between some of the very high end gear and some not so
high end gear and see if people really can hear a difference.