Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

Default Teflon Film Tin Foil capacitors

I've got a ****load of "old ancient" 2 and 1 watt carbon comps, and
they sound sharp, clear, and marvelous wherever I put them in a
circuit. I guess I'm not an "audiopile", or whatever....

Bob H.

wrote:
Hi RATs!

OK. I like to swap parts in my system and listen. I am a hobbyist, not
an electronic design engineer.

My wives, yes, I have had two, are both musicians. They live to make
music. OK, current Mrs. is sicker than me, but, she made Music her
life, when she could. The former Mrs. teaches Music and performs. Well,
she did, we are a bit out of touch ...

I played guitar, a lot, but, I was never a musician. I know this. My
musician friends know this. It is not a crime, it is just life. I had a
few good moments. I am able to hear people who have had many great
decades, it is all quantifiable, sort of

Objective analysis of a signal in the current space compared to that
signal in the recording is all a meer mortal has to judge his efforts.
That does not mean everything we hear when we listen is fully and
completely captured in the recording. Even though the recording itself
may well capture much more than any listener at the original
performance.

Music only happens in our mind after all the dire transmission business
is long completed. What Music gets through from the performers to the
listeners has some components which are simply not physically in the
sounds. They are imagined or inferred from the sounds. It is not
possible to test for those inferrences from comparing the recording to
the reproduced sound. Only people can hear what is not physically
there. We are crazy, in that sense.

Trying to make Music fit into the parts we can control is a waste of
time. Let us enjoy the Music without demanding that we swear never to
hear what is not on the recording itself. We can't. Even live
performance listeners sometimes hear things which only they heard.
Nobody checks our aural memories looking for misinterpretations.

I don't mind tuning my system to provide me with something which makes
me feel the Music is getting through ... that is what being alive is
for, for me.

Making the system simply reproduce the recording is simpler and more
easily verified. It is not the same. Trust me Or not, your choice

Happy Ears!
Al

Prune wrote:
Well, I'm a pianist as well, and a bit of an organist, but I think I may
still need some translation of that post...